Save a Few Clicks by
Adding a Shut down Button to the Taskbar
Yes, you’re right. It’s not a big deal every time you finish work and you want to shut down your computer:
- You Click on the Start button
- Click on Power button
- Select Shut down (or Restart)
The situation is more tedious in Windows 11 where the Start button is to the left side while the Power button is to the right side.
You can simply add a shut down command to your taskbar.
To add a shutdown button to the taskbar in Windows 11 (or Windows 10), follow these steps:
- Right-click on the desktop and select “New” .
- From the fly out menu select “Shortcut“.
- In the “Create Shortcut” window, type “shutdown.exe /s /t 00” (without quotes) in the location box and click “Next“.
- Type a name for the shortcut, such as “Shutdown” and click “Finish“.
- Right-click on the newly created shortcut and select: More Options then, “Properties“.
- In the “Properties” window, click the “Change Icon” button.
- Select an icon from the list or click “Browse” to select an icon file.
- Click “OK” to close the “Change Icon” window, and then click “Apply” and “OK” to close the “Properties” window.
- Right click on the new shortcut on the desktop and select Pin to taskbar.
- Now you have the shortcut on the taskbar. You can move it by dragging.
- Close all programs and test your new shortcut
Now you should have a shutdown button on your taskbar. Clicking on it will shut down your computer immediately.
Add a Restart Shortcut
To create a Restart shortcut on the taskbar, follow the previous steps but in the create shortcut window, type:
“shutdown.exe /r /t 00” (without quotes)
Hope you find value in this tip.