Microsoft Office Outlook 365 Course
Microsoft Outlook is a suite of applications withing the MS Office suite. It allows us to Send/Receive emails, Create Calendars with appointments and Events, Store contacts and Tasks. Outlook interacts with all other MS Office applications.
- Use it in a Browser or Installed on your computer?
- In either case, you need a login email and password.
In a Browser►
Admin.Microssoft.com ► Waffle ►Outlook
Outlook.Microsoft.com (No File Tab)
Local On your laptop or on the virtual Lab►
Start menu ►Outlook (File Tab not available in the online version)
- Switch between the Simplified ribbon and Classic ribbon
- Navigation Pane either Left or Bottom
- You may also see in the upper right “Coming Soon” ► Turn it Off
Local on my Computer► Navigation Pane to the Bottom
I will keep using for this course the local Outlook on the Lab
When starting Outlook for the first time you are prompted to enter an email address. You can use Outlook with Exchange, POP, IMAP, or Office 365. You can also use it with a Google account.
- You may or not be prompted for password (if you are already logged in on other Apps)
- You may also create multiple accounts ► We’ll do that later.
- Click Connect to start Outlook for the First time.
To Remove an Account:
File ►Info► Account Settings ► Account Settings ► explore …
Let’s add a new Gmail account: File ►Info► Add Account
ForAnyCourse@gmail.com (this is a personal account) ► Advanced Options ► Check the Box (Let me setup) ► Connect, select IMAP , verify…
Once you have Both emails
- Add the 2 Inbox to Favorites (Right Click) ►Rearrange
- ON/OFF: View Tab ►Layout ►Folder Pane ►Favorites
Explore the Interface: Ribbon (Changes between accounts)/ Collapse-Expand /Panes (Navigation, Folders, Content, Reading)
Office 365 account is Syncing instantly (Connected) while other email accounts
Other accounts (Such as Gmail) may have a designate wait time to sync
If traveling or want to work undisturbed ► Send/Receive Tab ►Work Offline.
Outlook Today … in the Folder Pane select the email ► Customize…
- Review Panes/ On-Off/ Resize
- Add/ remove /Rearrange items in Favorites.
- IMAP ► All-Unread Office 365 ►Focused – Other / Train outlook or turn it off:
- Default : by Date
- Filter by Unread
- Arrange by From – Size
- Sort order
- Bottom of list ► Focused Inbox (second location)
- View ► Current View ► Show as conversation.
- View ► Layout ► explore…
Save Attachments from a message
- Paper Clip icon
- Preview/ Open
- Save / Save All / Upload
- Remove attachments
- Assuming that we have multiple emails with the word meeting, some with attachments.
- Type in the Search Box
- Narrow down from the Search bar
- Ellipsis ► Recent Search (remembers the query but result can be different)
- Close the search
Ignore conversations and flag emails as Junk
- Scam and junk mail are unavoidable.
- Right click email ►Junk ► Block Sender
- Junk Email ► Right click ► Not Junk
- Junk Settings: Home Tab ►Ellipsis ► Junk ►Junk Email Options
- Low is fine just moves very obvious emails to junk.
- When same email is in Safe Senders & Blocked Senders lists, outlook honors the Safe list.
What about unwanted conversation that I no more want to be part of:
Home Tab ► Trash can ► Ignore ►Ignore Conversation
- To go back to this conversation
Home Tab ► Trash can ► Ignore ►Stop Ignoring Conversation
Using Filters and Insights
Funnel icon on the Home Tab ► explore options…
Right click a mail ► Find Related
Viva Insights: is an add-in that helps you improve the way you work and gives you recommendations.
Some of us are visuals some others are sorters. Visual people like to identify everything at a glance.
- Conditional Formatting: View Tab ► Current View ► View Settings ► Conditional Formatting
- Add► Name ► Font ►Condition
- Test ►Uncheck / Remove
- Flags some emails require further action:
- Flagging an email adds a visual and a popup reminder (Red + Yellow)
- View Tab ► Layout ► To Do ►Tasks (if you have a Gmail account, items identified as important are interpreted in Outlook as flagged)
- Order from top of Content pane / Filter from Home Tab.
- Clear Flag/ Mark as Complete/ Add Reminder (Bell)
- A Category is for visual classification (Not an actionable item)
- From the Home Tab ► explore…
- Create new categories and use them.
- Order from top of Content pane / Filter from Home Tab
- Uncategorized or assign multiple categories
- Organize emails in folders
- Create Folders and Subfolders
- Move a Message (s) ► Dragging or Right Click
- Add a Folder to Favorites
- Move an entire conversation to a specific Folder :
- Expand the conversation ►Home ► Move ►Always…
- A Quick Step is a feature of Outlook that allows you to manually trigger a sequence of events:
- Explore Built-in ► Some need Customization
- Create New Quick Step:
- Create a Folder “ To Read” and a QS “For Later” to move emails to this folder.
- Create a Folder “Approvals” and New QS ► Custom ► “Approvals”
- Move to Folder
- Send and Customize the reply (needs a contact)
- Create a meeting with the contact
- Rules can perform a set of steps and are triggered automatically
- Home Tab ►Ellipsis ►Rule ► Create Rule
- Home Tab ►Ellipsis ►Rule ► Manage Rules & Alerts where you can create more complex rules starting with a Template you customize.
- Explore options and let clients show their creativity…
- Delete (you don’t want it anymore), Restore and Archive (you don’t want it in the Inbox but keep it searchable) Emails.
- Delete from 2 locations
- Archive next to trash can on the Home Tab (Searchable with the inbox)
- Delete items from Deleted folder then Recover within 30 days
- Empty All items from Deleted Folder: File ►Info ► Tools ►
Create and Send Messages
- Create a New Mail: From , To, Body, Format, Attachment, Send, Draft…
- Reply, Reply All & Forward…
- Recall or Resend :
- Double Click the mail in the Sent Folder ►File tab ►Resend or Recall
Or Double Click the mail in the Sent Folder ►Ellipsis ►Action ►Resend or Recall
- Double Click the mail in the Sent Folder ►File tab ►Resend or Recall
- Create Voting Buttons: To get a response without creating complex forms.
- Create New Email ► Options ► Voting ►Custom ► Type your options separated by semicolons ►Send it to yourself ► Vote ► Send ► Click on the circle to view voting responses.
- Add Signatures: Search Box/ Options/Insert…
- Create Out-Of-Office auto response…. Your Computer doesn’t need to be on.
- Explore other Delivery Options: Importance/ (Options ► Ellipsis) Bcc/ Receipts/ Delay Delivery/ Replies…
- Use @mentions to get someone’s attention.
Filter to Mentioned mail but change it back afterwards to All Mail
- Translate, Dictate and Read Aloud.
J’ ai pris des cours de franca is et je me suis amusé taper des messages.
Je vais utiliser votre adresse e—mail pour pratiquer mes cours !
Home Tab ►Translate icon
Home Tab ►Read Aloud
New Email ►Message Tab ► Ellipsis ► Dictate
Create Contacts and Work with People
- Create New Contact: People ►New Contact or from Email ►Ellipsis ►Add to outlook Contacts.
- Create Contact Groups: New Contact ►Contact Group ► name ►Add members
- Send Email to contact group
- Move Contacts into Folders (for sharing some contacts) Mark as Private (will not be shared).
- Right click “My Contacts” ►Create a “New Folder Group” and move other folders in it
- Share Contact Data with Others
- Contact Folder ►Right Click ►Share…
- You can Right Click a contact/group ►Forward
- Business card ►Universal Format that many applications can use
- Outlook Contact ►Recipient must be using outlook
Work with Delegates
Add Delegates who can work on your behalf.
File ►Info ►Account Settings ►Delegate Access ►Add ► Permissions
Work with Calendars
- Change the look of a Calendar
- Calendar Icon► Explore window and calendar views. Navigation / Date Picker / Arrows.
- Go to Today (blue outline + Line for time)
- View Tab ► Time Scale. Ellipsis ► Color/ Layout
- Set the Weather to the right city. (File ►Options ► Calendar ►Weather Bar)
- Create Appointments & All Day Event
- Double Click a time slot ► explore in details (Coffee Networking Event)
- Double click Top slot ► Supervisor on Site
- Create A Meeting
- New Meeting – Invite attendees
- Set Response Options – Reminder – Time Zone – Recurrence
- Scheduling Assistant Tab ►Add Attendees ► Send.
- Chair a Meeting
- Double click the appointment to see responses.
- Click on Tracking tab to see who accepted or declined
- Go to meeting Tab and send email to attendees.
- Go to scheduling assistant ►Autopick
- Cancel meeting ► Send Cancellation.
- Open Other Calendars
- Home Tab ►ellipsis ► Add ►From Address Book.
- Right click the shared calendar ►Change color / Overlay…
- Create New Blank Calendar (from the Add menu): name it Family.
- Delete a Calendar (better uncheck it)
- Sharing Calendar: Home Tab ► Ellipsis ►Share ►Add names ►set permissions. Recipients can open it from email or click to the right side of the Home Tab: Add ►Open Shared Calendar.
Work with Tasks and Settings
- Create and Assign Tasks:
- Tasks created as Follow up emailsnabil@
- Click Here to Add Tasks
- New Tasks (gives me more options)
- Mark as Complete
- Assign Task
- Options Dialog Box ► Explore some Options
Creating a Group in Outlook
- A group is a team of people from the same organization who want to work together on a project
- To create a Group► either from desktop or online (mail or people)
- People ►Home Tab ►New Group (read the tooltip)►diagram ► explore the New Group assets in outlook